“Jesus loves your ‘failure’ church of 60 at least as much as that church you always had in your mind.” – Carl Culley
This conversation is a special one with two people who are so much fun and have a huge passion for the small church.
Carl & Kalani Culley have a long history of ministry and are the pioneers of Lacamas Creek Church in Camas, WA, pastoring there for the last 25 years. They are also the leaders of the Big Little Church Conference (April 26-28, 2021) and proprietors of the Camp Lacamas Retreat & Conference Center.
I believe you’ll find their wisdom and insight very relatable and valuable in your life and ministry. We talk about their decades of experience in planting and leading churches, the most challenging seasons of discouragement and disappointment, how to navigate tough seasons, and so much more.
1) Jesus adores your church. This is the deep, but simple, truth. Jesus is so proud of you, he loves you, and he loves your ministry.
2) You can’t heal on-the-fly. I appreciate that Carl highlighted that they really did need to “hit a wall” to move into where God was leading them, but that doesn’t make the healing process any faster. It’s important to take the time you need.
3) “Do not take your hand off the plow.” Tough seasons are often what refine us as leaders. When God has placed a calling on your life, look to Him to lead you through that season, but don’t quit if Jesus hasn’t told you to quit.
Links to Resources Mentioned or Related
- Big Little Church Conference
- Read Stalled: Hope and Help for Pastors Who Thought They’d Be There By Now
Subscribe (and Leave a Review!)
Be sure to subscribe to The 95 Podcast on whatever platform you prefer! You can also keep up with the latest podcasts, articles, and resources by using the form below:
Your rating also helps more pastors of small and mid-size churches find this resource, especially on Apple Podcasts. Would you take a moment to share your thoughts? Just open the podcast on Apple Podcasts on your phone or computer and share your thoughts. We really appreciate it!
Support the Podcast
The 95 Podcast is a ministry of 95Network. As a nonprofit, we rely on the support of those who believe in our mission to resource small and mid-size churches and support pastors. If you have been impacted by this podcast or our ministry, would you consider supporting us?