I’m really grateful to be sharing today’s conversation with my good friend Clayton King, long-time ministry leader, a gifted evangelist, and part of the team at Newspring Church. We got to record this conversation before everything hit with COVID-19, and we’ve been sitting on it for a little while, so I’m glad we’re finally sharing it today.
Clayton is the real deal. He loves Jesus with all His heart. He loves the Church with all his heart. And he practices everything he preaches. You’ll quickly find that he’s a straight-shooter with some very honest responses throughout this conversation. And I truly believe that what we cover today is so important for the Church today.
So I hope you enjoy this episode. Austin recently told me, “I have never heard two people talk that fast!” And it’s true: You probably don’t want to speed it up — we do talk fast!
Links to Resources Mentioned or Related
- Clayton King’s Website
- Crossroads Summer Camp
- Evangelism Explosion
- 3 Circles Evangelism
- Rediscovering a Heart for Evangelism (w/ Dan Nichols) – Episode 14
Here are some key takeaways from today’s conversation:
- Many churches don’t see much growth through new conversions. Research has shown that many churches who report growth often see that growth come from people switching churches.
- There is no excuse for us not to prioritize evangelism in our own lives and in our leadership. Some of us have the actual gift of evangelism, and some of us don’t. But not having this specific gift does not negate the responsibility to share our faith and make evangelism a priority in our churches.
- Guilt is a terrible motivator for evangelism. Joy is a great motivator. So many of us grew up in a tradition that talked about evangelism from a negative perspective. Instead, we should be sharing out of our overflow.
- If we don’t have a focus on reaching the next generation, that’s a problem. Love this honesty from Clayton, who has a vibrant ministry to young people through Crossroads Summer Camp. Really great questions in this episode for leaders to honestly consider.
Subscribe (and Leave a Review!)
Be sure to subscribe to The 95 Podcast on whatever platform you prefer! You can also keep up with the latest podcasts, articles, and resources by using the form below:
Your rating also helps more pastors of small and mid-size churches find this resource, especially on Apple Podcasts. Would you take a moment to share your thoughts? Just open the podcast on Apple Podcasts on your phone or computer and share your thoughts. We really appreciate it!
Support the Podcast
The 95 Podcast is a ministry of 95Network. As a nonprofit, we rely on the support of those who believe in our mission to resource small and mid-size churches and support pastors. If you have been impacted by this podcast or our ministry, would you consider supporting us?