I personally am so excited to be sharing today’s episode of the podcast. I read a book called Replenish by Lance Witt a few years back and actually took my staff team at the time through it. This book is honestly one of my favorite books for ministry leaders.
Well, fast forward to this year and Austin and I got to talk with Lance on the podcast! He was a Senior Pastor for over 20 years, worked at Saddleback Church for a while, wrote 2 books (Replenish and High Impact Teams) and has since started Replenish Ministries and is a consultant with our friends at The Unstuck Group.
We talk about such good stuff in this episode around balance, burnout, calling, and learning to pay attention to what’s going on inside our own soul. Lance has such a huge heart for the Church and some powerful, honest thoughts for ministry leaders. Such a powerful conversation!
Here are some key takeaways from today’s conversation:
- It’s possible to do ministry out of your gifting while on the inside your soul is shriveling up. The Christian life is meant to be from the inside to the outside. It’s possible to do ministry with a tired and empty soul, but it doesn’t last for long.
- In today’s leadership culture, we’ve unintentionally fueled a culture that tells us that numbers define our worth. If we ever get to a point where we find our significance in the size of our church, we’re not in the place God wants us to be. “God made you a person before He made you a pastor.”
- A lot of us have a theology of availability. Many of us in ministry believe that we have to be available to meet everyone’s needs at any time. But despite people’s expectations, that’s not our calling. (Although a lot of us leaders use busyness as a mask for what’s really going on within us…)
Links to Resources Mentioned or Related
- Replenish Ministries
- Replenish by Lance Witt
- Leading Change by John Kotter
- High Impact Teams by Lance Witt
Subscribe (and Leave a Review!)
Be sure to subscribe to The 95 Podcast on whatever platform you prefer! You can also keep up with the latest podcasts, articles, and resources by using the form below:
Your rating also helps more pastors of small and mid-size churches find this resource, especially on Apple Podcasts. Would you take a moment to share your thoughts? Just open the podcast on Apple Podcasts on your phone or computer and share your thoughts. We really appreciate it!
Support the Podcast
The 95 Podcast is a ministry of 95Network. As a nonprofit, we rely on the support of those who believe in our mission to resource small and mid-size churches and support pastors. If you have been impacted by this podcast or our ministry, would you consider supporting us?