Our team often has the chance to connect with churches who are just knocking it out of the park with how they’re reaching their community, focusing on their mission, and staying focused on where they’re headed rather than where they’ve been.
This week on the podcast, we’re talking with a pastor of one of those churches. Mark Pritchard is the Lead Pastor at Church at the Gates in Missoula, MT, a church I personally had the opportunity to work with a couple years back. They went through a planning process with The Unstuck Group, similar to what we do in VisionDay, and came out with some incredible clarity and unity for where they’re headed as a ministry.
We had a ton of fun on this episode (Austin’s question of the day was the most random one yet) and we loved hearing about the ministry Church at the Gates is doing today and how Mark has grown in his leadership. I feel like this happens every time we record a new episode, but this is definitely one of my favorite conversations:
Here are some key takeaways from today’s conversation:
- Across the board, getting a set of outside eyes on your ministry is so valuable. I love the story of how Mark and his team had been struggling for months on what the mission of their church should be, and then came to consensus on a new direction within just a few minutes during the planning retreat. It just took someone from the outside to come in and guide the conversation to help them ask the right questions.
- Your mission should be simple. It’s so easy to complicate things as we structure our ministries. But why you exist needs to be understood by everyone in your church and should make sense to people outside the church as well.
- Don’t give up. “I can’t think of a more forgotten, but a more powerful group of God’s workers than small-church pastors… Just don’t stop.” Mark’s encouragement is simple and great at the end of this week’s episode.
Links to Resources Mentioned or Related
- VisionDay: One-Day Strategic Planning Process
- The Unstuck Group: Church Consulting & Strategic Planning
- The 95 Podcast w/ Tony Morgan, Founder of The Unstuck Group
Subscribe (and Leave a Review!)
Be sure to subscribe to The 95 Podcast on whatever platform you prefer! You can also keep up with the latest podcasts, articles, and resources by using the form below:
Your rating also helps more pastors of small and mid-size churches find this resource, especially on Apple Podcasts. Would you take a moment to share your thoughts? Just open the podcast on Apple Podcasts on your phone or computer and share your thoughts. We really appreciate it!
Support the Podcast
The 95 Podcast is a ministry of 95Network. As a nonprofit, we rely on the support of those who believe in our mission to resource small and mid-size churches and support pastors. If you have been impacted by this podcast or our ministry, would you consider supporting us?