I love when we get to share “soul care” episodes on the podcast. This is one of those episodes.
Bill Gaultiere is a Psychologist and pastor/mentor to pastors. He writes and speaks to thousands of people every week through Soul Shepherding. He was personally mentored for many years by Dallas Willard and Ray Ortlund Sr., and is the author of the new book Journey of the Soul.
I truly believe this episode will be such an encouragement to you. Bill shares fresh language to help us understand the full journey of discipleship, how we can calm our soul, reminders on making Sabbath an actual part of our rhythm, and he closes the episode by leading us through a breath work exercise.
This conversation will give you fresh perspective this week!
1) You need a friend. We all do. But a huge majority of pastors don’t have a close friend. This doesn’t happen without intention. As Bill says, “It takes initiative to develop relationships.”
2) Effective spiritual practices look different in each season of discipleship. Bill walks us through such a helpful breakdown of each of the stages of the discipleship journey. I found it really interesting that he highlights that we often keep ourselves in the first 3 stages and struggle to move past “the wall” and into the later 3 stages.
3) We need to stop running so fast. I love the practice Bill leads us through at the end. It might feel a little weird to you, but it’s so important to take the time to breathe, to rest in God, and calm our soul.
Links to Resources Mentioned or Related
- Soul Shepherding
- [Book] Journey of the Soul: A Practical Guide to Emotional and Spiritual Growth
- Get a free digital copy of Journey of the Soul as a 95Network Member
- Read Stalled: Hope and Help for Pastors Who Thought They’d Be There By Now
- Soul Talks Podcast
Subscribe (and Leave a Review!)
Be sure to subscribe to The 95 Podcast on whatever platform you prefer! You can also keep up with the latest podcasts, articles, and resources by using the form below:
Your rating also helps more pastors of small and mid-size churches find this resource, especially on Apple Podcasts. Would you take a moment to share your thoughts? Just open the podcast on Apple Podcasts on your phone or computer and share your thoughts. We really appreciate it!
Support the Podcast
The 95 Podcast is a ministry of 95Network. As a nonprofit, we rely on the support of those who believe in our mission to resource small and mid-size churches and support pastors. If you have been impacted by this podcast or our ministry, would you consider supporting us?