Today’s conversation is one of my favorite episodes of the podcast.
After 20 years of serving as a pastor, Jimmy formalized his ministry to other pastors in 1999 by founding PastorServe. A well-known and respected speaker, Jimmy is the author of “Survive or Thrive,” “Pastors are People Too,” and “What Great Ministry Leaders Get Right.” He is also a graduate of Wheaton College and Gordon-Conwell Seminary.
Today, Jimmy shares what it was like leading at Grace Chapel when Gordon MacDonald had a moral failure, why so many pastors fall, what they consistently are hearing from leaders at PastorServe, what separates remorse and repentance, and the most common lies the Enemy whispers to church leaders.
This is an episode for your soul and you don’t want to miss it!
1) “You can have the flashiest front stage in the world, and your life can be an absolute mess.” Let that sink in for a second. It’s far too easy to emphasize what other people see while we ignore the aspects of our life that most people don’t see. That never ends well.
2) Jesus didn’t heal everyone. You can’t be everything to everyone. You can’t fix everything. I love Jimmy’s explanation towards the end of the episode about the healing at the pool of Bethesda. Powerful.
3) All of life is ministry, and your family is your primary ministry. When you leave the church to go to your child’s baseball game (or something along those lines), you’re not leaving “the ministry” to go to a baseball game. You’re leaving your secondary ministry for your primary ministry.
Links to Resources Mentioned or Related
- [Book] What Great Ministry Leaders Get Right
- Use code PODCAST to get 10% off anything in our store!
- Read Stalled: Hope and Help for Pastors Who Thought They’d Be There By Now
Subscribe (and Leave a Review!)
Be sure to subscribe to The 95 Podcast on whatever platform you prefer! You can also keep up with the latest podcasts, articles, and resources by using the form below:
Your rating also helps more pastors of small and mid-size churches find this resource, especially on Apple Podcasts. Would you take a moment to share your thoughts? Just open the podcast on Apple Podcasts on your phone or computer and share your thoughts. We really appreciate it!
Support the Podcast
The 95 Podcast is a ministry of 95Network. As a nonprofit, we rely on the support of those who believe in our mission to resource small and mid-size churches and support pastors. If you have been impacted by this podcast or our ministry, would you consider supporting us?