(Take one day to ensure a stronger future for your ministry with VisionDay. Get all the details here!)
The past couple years have often felt like we’ve been blindfolded and then asked to lead people somewhere new. Do you agree? With all of the ups and downs, sometimes it’s important to just remember the why. The simple reason God has called each of us into leadership.
That’s what today’s conversation with my friend Paul Alexander is.
On top of being a ministry consultant with The Unstuck Group, Paul has more than 23 years experience serving in the local church, the last 18 of which have been on the Senior Leadership Teams of some large churches throughout the nation. Currently, Paul is serving as the Executive Pastor at Sun Valley Community Church, a multi-site church located in the Phoenix area.
Most of all, I respect Paul and I trust him. In this conversation, he openly shares about how his church has focused on reaching people throughout COVID, why he never wants to hear “pre-COVID” from his team again, why he’s not asking people to come back to church, what visionary leadership looks like when God is leading a church somewhere new, and a whole lot more. This was refreshing and encouraging. Listen in!
1) “Pain will always change you.” Like Paul highlights, all throughout history crisis has provided an opportunity for the Church to make a lasting difference by simply being there in the midst of hardship. This opportunity is still before us now.
2) “The game plan hasn’t changed all that much.” The context sure has, but leading people to Jesus is the same call as it’s always been. Nothing else takes precedence.
3) “You have to be biblically wise and culturally astute.” Paul and his team haven’t actively been trying to get people to come back to the building. Their building is open on Sunday and people have been returning, but his insight into why they haven’t specifically said that is really helpful. I hope it is for you as well.
4) “God is leading you somewhere new. Do you not perceive it?” Don’t fight where God is leading you and your church. Join him in that journey of leading your church and community to that new place.
Links to Resources Mentioned or Related
- REPLAY: Tony Morgan on 10 Characteristics of Unstuck Churches – Episode 88
- The Unstuck Group
- Sun Valley Community Church
- 95Network Membership
- Use code PODCAST to get 10% off anything in our store!
- Read Stalled: Hope and Help for Pastors Who Thought They’d Be There By Now
Subscribe (and Leave a Review!)
Be sure to subscribe to The 95 Podcast on whatever platform you prefer! You can also keep up with the latest podcasts, articles, and resources by using the form below:
Your rating also helps more pastors of small and mid-size churches find this resource, especially on Apple Podcasts. Would you take a moment to share your thoughts? Just open the podcast on Apple Podcasts on your phone or computer and share your thoughts. We really appreciate it!
Support the Podcast
The 95 Podcast is a ministry of 95Network. As a nonprofit, we rely on the support of those who believe in our mission to resource small and mid-size churches and support pastors. If you have been impacted by this podcast or our ministry, would you consider supporting us?