“God gives us dominion over bits and bytes, not just atoms.”
Churches have pivoted in incredible ways in the last year, adopting technology in new ways at a rate they never anticipated. But what should our perspective of all this adoption of technology really be?
Paul Johnson is Co-Founder & CEO of Pathwright, an all-in-one design, learning, and teaching platform. He is an incredible innovator and a thoughtful leader. In today’s episode, he shares his theology of technology, what’s encouraged him and discouraged him about the Church over the past year and a half, the incredible value available for us in leveraging technology, the negative ways technology can shape us, and so much more.
We can’t wait to hear what stands out to you most from this conversation!
(After recording this episode, we also talked with Pathwright to get a discount on their platform for all of our 95Network Members. Register here!)
1) It’s valuable to let people learn on their own time. I’ve recently connected with teachers who have consistently seen better results by allowing kids to take tests at the time that works best for them. Not only does learning like this save a teacher or pastor’s time, but it also allows learners to learn in ways that work the best for them.
2) You should be proud of how you shifted over the past year and a half. This wasn’t an easy time to be in ministry. You innovated. You shifted. You led change. You listened to where God is leading you. And that’s something you really should be proud of.
3) “Technology is any tool that amplifies human potential.” Technology has looked different over various eras. Now is the best time to uncover what it could look like to be IN the conversation where people are spending their time.
4) “We don’t just shape technology. Technology shapes us.” There is a lot of aspects of technology that are shaping us in negative ways, but it’s not irredeemable. I loved Paul’s reminder that we have dominion not only over the physical world, but also over developments in the Earth like technology.
Links to Resources Mentioned or Related
- As a 95Network Member, you can expect anywhere between 30-70% off one of Pathwright’s pricing plans.
- Use code PODCAST to get 10% off anything in our store!
- Read Stalled: Hope and Help for Pastors Who Thought They’d Be There By Now
- Join us with your spouse for the From Stalled to Freedom Conference in Greenville!
Subscribe (and Leave a Review!)
Be sure to subscribe to The 95 Podcast on whatever platform you prefer! You can also keep up with the latest podcasts, articles, and resources by using the form below:
Your rating also helps more pastors of small and mid-size churches find this resource, especially on Apple Podcasts. Would you take a moment to share your thoughts? Just open the podcast on Apple Podcasts on your phone or computer and share your thoughts. We really appreciate it!
Support the Podcast
The 95 Podcast is a ministry of 95Network. As a nonprofit, we rely on the support of those who believe in our mission to resource small and mid-size churches and support pastors. If you have been impacted by this podcast or our ministry, would you consider supporting us?