Every church leader experiences seasons of insecurity. Fluctuating attendance, inconsistent weekly giving, staff issues, board members with agendas, and comparison to other “successful” ministries in our region all feed the notion that we’re not good enough to lead our church.
These seasons are sure to occur at various points in our leadership, but how we walk through them determines what lies ahead for our life and the church we lead.
Join us this week on the podcast as we walk through 7 questions to ask during seasons where we’re not sure if we should continue on in ministry:
Austin’s Social Media Game: We want to get to know you better! This week, our question on our social media game is, “Do you like coffee? If so, how do you take it?” Send us your answer on Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn so we can get to know each other better!
Here are some key takeaways from today’s conversation:
- We have to take time for what matters. It’s easy to let ministry take a higher priority than consistent Sabbath and a healthy home life. If we don’t intentionally take time for what’s most important, insecurity is inevitable.
- Unhealthy expectations are dangerous. If we try to live by unrealistic expectations that we put on ourselves or unhealthy expectations that our congregation has for us, we quickly begin to feel incapable as a pastor.
- Denying our feelings of discouragement won’t make them go away. Walking through a season of insecurity or discouragement is not something that you need to feel ashamed about. But it can’t just be ignored. The questions we cover today are great to help you get to the root of your insecurity.
Links to Resources Mentioned or Related
- Article: Is Your Church the Other Woman? A Pastor’s Secret Affair
- Encouragement: 6 Things Every Small-Church Pastor Needs to Hear
- 95Network One-Day Events
- Gain access to the bonus conversation on Making Sabbath Part of Your Leadership Rhythm.
Subscribe (and Leave a Review!)
Be sure to subscribe to The 95 Podcast on whatever platform you prefer! You can also keep up with the latest podcasts, articles, and resources by using the form below:
Your rating also helps more pastors of small and mid-size churches find this resource, especially on Apple Podcasts. Would you take a moment to share your thoughts? Just open the podcast on Apple Podcasts on your phone or computer and share your thoughts. We really appreciate it!
Support the Podcast
The 95 Podcast is a ministry of 95Network. As a nonprofit, we rely on the support of those who believe in our mission to resource small and mid-size churches and support pastors. If you have been impacted by this podcast or our ministry, would you consider supporting us?