Jon Sanders hosts today’s 95Podcast with guest Jeff Gauss. Jeff was a church planter for many years and had a great deal of success until he hit a major wall of burnout and depression about six years ago. He was one of Jon’s coaching clients in the aftermath of that. He went on to start a business called Church Plant Solutions that does bookkeeping and tax returns for pastors and churches.
Jeff is now back in full-time pastoral ministry as an Executive pastor at a church in Florida. When he moved from Minnesota/North Dakota to Florida, he was able to go off of all his anti-depressant medications completely. Today’s discussion concerns burnout in ministry, his business, and the services he provides for churches and pastors.
Links to Resources Mentioned or Related
- Church Plant Solutions
- Email Jeff
- Link to NEW! Soul Care Essentials Online: 3-Session Video Series
- Link to NEW! Soul Care Essentials Cohort: 6 Weeks of Guided Conversations for Post-Conference Groups
- 95Network – Soul Care Essentials
- 95Network – Healthy Church Assessment
- Read Stalled: Hope and Help for Pastors Who Thought They’d Be There By Now
- Watch Podcast on YouTube
1) Burnout can manifest in different ways. There is no one specific way that it reveals itself in a leader’s life.
2) Taking a break from ministry to focus on developing soul health is alright. It’s impossible to create a sustained ministry “success” if you’re not doing good on the inside. An unhealthy soul will always come to the surface.
3) You may discover that serving in a bi-vocational capacity will bring tremendous fulfillment and margin to your life versus being full-time.
4) The physical location that you serve in can affect your soul health.
Subscribe (and Leave a Review!)
Be sure to subscribe to The 95 Podcast on whatever platform you prefer! You can also keep up with the latest podcasts, articles, and resources by using the form below:
Your rating also helps more pastors of small and mid-size churches find this resource, especially on Apple Podcasts. Would you take a moment to share your thoughts? Open the podcast on Apple Podcasts on your phone or computer and share your thoughts. We appreciate it!
Support the Podcast
The 95 Podcast is a ministry of 95Network. As a nonprofit, we rely on the support of those who believe in our mission to resource small and mid-size churches and support pastors. If this podcast or our ministry has impacted you, would you consider supporting us?