This last week was heavy, not only with political division, but also with news of another leader falling morally. (Not to mention the reminder of countless church leaders falling that we don’t hear about in the news.) And I felt frustrated. I felt frustrated by how I saw other pastors responding. I felt frustrated by how consistent these mistakes happen. And I felt frustrated by the witness that is hindered each time events like this take place (for the whole Church, not just their church).
Austin and I had another podcast scheduled to release today, but after talking on Monday, we knew we needed to record a fresh conversation this week addressing what we’re seeing.
So today, here’s about as honest of a conversation as you could get on the podcast, and some crucial reminders about how none of us are the exception. You’ll hear many of the lessons I’ve learned in my 40 years of ministry, some openness about Austin’s lifelong struggle with pornography and what led to his dad’s affair, and a path forward for every single one of us. I hope you’ll take the time to really listen to this conversation.
1) You are not the exception. With the recent news from this past week, I saw countless pastors piling on negativity towards a leader they’ve never met. Too many of us think we’re exempt from the possibility of getting to the place where we do something stupid, and that’s exactly how we get there.
2) Every single one of us has our stuff. Austin and I’s temptations are very different. Your temptation is unique. And our flesh and our Enemy will never tempt us towards anything we don’t already want. Every single one of us have areas we struggle in. Don’t act like you don’t.
3) You have to know your absolutes. I give some suggestions and examples in this episode, but you have to know the specific strategies you have in place that you will never compromise on.
4) You don’t just stumble into things. If you play on the bank, you’ll eventually fall in. The stories we hear of pastors who fall aren’t just people who are victims of a bad situation. Just like David didn’t just “happen” to see Bathsheba.
Links to Resources Mentioned or Related
- Join us at the Stalled National Conference on November 17
- Read Stalled: Hope and Help for Pastors Who Thought They’d Be There By Now
- Lecrae on Carey Nieuwhof’s Podcast
- Kadi Cole on Carey Nieuwhof’s Podcast
- Article: Is Your Church the Other Woman? A Pastor’s Secret Affair
- Loving Your Marriage Enough to Protect It by Jerry Jenkins
- Article: “I’m a Pastor Struggling With Porn. What Do I Do?”
Subscribe (and Leave a Review!)
Be sure to subscribe to The 95 Podcast on whatever platform you prefer! You can also keep up with the latest podcasts, articles, and resources by using the form below:
Your rating also helps more pastors of small and mid-size churches find this resource, especially on Apple Podcasts. Would you take a moment to share your thoughts? Just open the podcast on Apple Podcasts on your phone or computer and share your thoughts. We really appreciate it!
Support the Podcast
The 95 Podcast is a ministry of 95Network. As a nonprofit, we rely on the support of those who believe in our mission to resource small and mid-size churches and support pastors. If you have been impacted by this podcast or our ministry, would you consider supporting us?