We’ve got a guest from across the Pacific today, and we can’t wait to share this conversation with you! John Finkelde has 30 years of pastoral experience before founding Grow a Healthy Church in 2012. He has such a huge heart for church leaders.
In this episode, John shares incredible wisdom including how he navigated a healthy pastoral transition, what he’s been consistently sharing with leaders he’s coaching this last year, why you have to lead from a place of rest, and why your mission is deeper than church growth.
This conversation encouraged Austin and I so much, and it’s one you don’t want to miss!
1) When we can’t let go of ministry, we undermine the progress of the ministry. I love John’s perspective that he’s no longer a father figure in the church, but a grandfather figure. He is an incredible example of what it looks like to effectively handoff ministry. He says, “The next generation we saw come through the doors wouldn’t have come if I was still leading.”
2) Did God tell you to start? Did God tell you to quit? So many pastors have been feeling the pressure to resign or to let go of ministry. But when it comes down to it, pastoring is a calling. If God told you to start, but He hasn’t told you to quit, the decision is clear.
3) “You don’t rest from work; you work from rest.” Recently on the podcast, it has been a theme for our guests to encourage leaders to take a real break. And I couldn’t agree more. There are some of you listening who haven’t taken time off since the pandemic started. You can’t sustain that.
4) Delegation is one of the biggest problems in small and mid-size churches. We’ve been saying this a long time, and John’s explanation here is rock solid.
Links to Resources Mentioned or Related
- Learn more about Grow a Healthy Church
- Connect with John on Facebook and Twitter
- Karl Vaters’ ministry
- Read Stalled: Hope and Help for Pastors Who Thought They’d Be There By Now
Subscribe (and Leave a Review!)
Be sure to subscribe to The 95 Podcast on whatever platform you prefer! You can also keep up with the latest podcasts, articles, and resources by using the form below:
Your rating also helps more pastors of small and mid-size churches find this resource, especially on Apple Podcasts. Would you take a moment to share your thoughts? Just open the podcast on Apple Podcasts on your phone or computer and share your thoughts. We really appreciate it!
Support the Podcast
The 95 Podcast is a ministry of 95Network. As a nonprofit, we rely on the support of those who believe in our mission to resource small and mid-size churches and support pastors. If you have been impacted by this podcast or our ministry, would you consider supporting us?