We’re setting a record on The 95 Podcast today… We’re welcoming back a guest for the THIRD TIME! Karl Vaters is joining us back on the show for an incredible conversation that I truly can’t wait to share with you.
When I was out in WA for a recent conference with Karl, he shared something that completely changed my perspective on the last year. And I wanted him to join us on the show to share that insight with you as well.
Today we talk about the unseen emotional impact of the pandemic on pastors, how we should be welcoming people back to our church, Karl’s darkest season as a pastor, the biggest things we need to be aware of as leaders, and a challenge for us all to be honest with ourselves about.
This is one I’ll be listening back to many times over again, and I encourage you to check it out!
1) We have experienced collective trauma over the past year. Seriously, consider what Karl is saying. Most importantly, when people (us) are in trauma, they lose their ability to think logically, instead living on emotion and action. If there’s anything to describe the past 15 months, that would be it.
2) Your people need to know that you want them back for them, not for what they can do for the ministry. As Karl says, “We need to let our volunteers know that they are not only welcome, but encouraged, to come back even if they have nothing to offer.” Let’s make it safe for people to come and be refreshed. And a quick tip that Karl shares to make that happen? Shorten your preaching. Lengthen your worship.
3) When we take everything on to ourselves, it’s that much harder to let it all go again. This has been a concern for me since the start of the pandemic, and I know it will translate into overwhelmed pastors, some of whom will end up resigning from the pastorate. You can’t keep living at the pace you’ve been running at. We either need to cut back on what we offer or give responsibility away.
Links to Resources Mentioned or Related
- Karl Vaters’ Website
- Can it Work in a Small Church? [coming very soon!]
- Your Small Church is a BIG Deal (w/ Chris Vitarelli) – Episode 81
- Rich Birch on Leading in Crisis Mode, Recovering Volunteerism, and the Most Negative Thing He’s Ever Said On A Podcast – Episode 72
- Use code PODCAST to get 10% off anything in our store!
- Read Stalled: Hope and Help for Pastors Who Thought They’d Be There By Now
- Join us with your spouse for the From Stalled to Freedom Conference in Greenville!
Subscribe (and Leave a Review!)
Be sure to subscribe to The 95 Podcast on whatever platform you prefer! You can also keep up with the latest podcasts, articles, and resources by using the form below:
Your rating also helps more pastors of small and mid-size churches find this resource, especially on Apple Podcasts. Would you take a moment to share your thoughts? Just open the podcast on Apple Podcasts on your phone or computer and share your thoughts. We really appreciate it!
Support the Podcast
The 95 Podcast is a ministry of 95Network. As a nonprofit, we rely on the support of those who believe in our mission to resource small and mid-size churches and support pastors. If you have been impacted by this podcast or our ministry, would you consider supporting us?